Monday, June 23, 2008

Are you Visionary?

Me: Good Morning Diran, how is it going?
Diran: Good Morning, I am good.
Me: I understand that you have completed your aptitude tests, how was it?
Diran: It was good.
Me: I mean, how did you do it?
Diran: I did it well.
...
(long conversation on technical things)
...
Me: Cool Diran, my last question, what is your vision?
Diran: -1.5 in my left eye, 0.5 in my right eye.
Me: ?#$#$$$%%
....


Diran(not a real name) was a fresher who we have interviewed for a software trainee position in our organization, who scored very high in the technical interview. Diran is not alone in this world, surprisingly, there are many experienced candidates who we have met are in the same position as him. Sometimes, we have even given time for them to think about their vision and get back to us to proceed further. Guess what, the turn around ratio was very poor. Hope they have not gone to the EYE foundation to test their vision ;-).

Me: Well, I asked about the goal in your life?
Diran: I want to become a CEO of a company.
Guran: I want to become a Project Manager.
Saran: I want to become a Business man.

Most of the people in the industry, well even in this world think that the goals are only for work, not for life. Even worse, most of them do not even have a goal or vision. They do not know why they are doing certain things. They do not know what is the reason for their existence. They do not know the meaning of their life. Basically, they are lost. Well, I was one of them, but that is a history.

Many (including me) have married their work at their young age and love their work like they have never loved anyone before, they will even divorce their wife but not the work from their life ever. Well, work and the money it gives is interesting, exciting and amazing, however, there is so much beyond just work and money.

One needs to step out of the box they are in and look at things with a bird's view(eagle would be preferable). One needs to think on where he wants to be in his life, one needs to think on who they want to take along with them in their journey, one needs to think what contribution he/she can make to the society, one needs to search for the purpose of their existence, simply one need to define the meaning of their own life...

Yes, The vision.

Vision, is a positive look at the future, filled with hopes, promises and excitements. It is something which should make you run to achieve your goals and won't let you stop for any silly happenings in life. Vision is more about defining a meaning for your own life, more than the meaning for your work. Your profession could be anything, but that is a medium which helps you to reach your ultimate vision.

It is mandatory for every living being in this world.
It should be big enough to flush away the sillies in your life.
It should not die with you.
It should be never ending.
It should have a social cause.
It should be the reason for your existence.
It should define the meaning of your life.
It should evolve you.


While we are all visioning, I would like to remember a great leader, Martin Luther King, Jr.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was under a lots of pressure due to the face of economic hardship, constant threat of assassination, attacks on his family still burned deeply into his mind, but nothing, literally, nothing stopped him, only because he was running towards his vision...

"In a country where segregation was the law of the land, and racial hate was rampant, a world with people where they would no longer be judged by the color of their skin."

...and do I need to say anything about Mahathma Gandhi's vision? ;-).

So, sit back, relax for a while and think about your vision. If you find yourself visionary, please share your vision with me, otherwise reach out to your mentors to have one.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome .. very nice thought healthy thought in spite of hardships in life . God bless you to make the difference in the society .
Keep Going ...

Alicia said...

I liked very much the thought but I believe you set the line to high to reach! :) Marthin Luther King or Mahatma Gandhi no less!

Their vision is their life. I wonder how vision can be one's life for the rest of us who have a job not strictly related to it and also I wonder about yours!

Karikalan said...

King and Gandhi were examples for inspiration. However, I have many friends who inspired me a lot, they are no way below King or Gandhi ;-).

I believe that our vision should define the meaning of our life (does anyone know the meaning of our life?, I think no one can generalise, since it is different for each individual, which they should craft for themselves), and it will become our life.

Many people choose the job just because they landed there somehow, where there is no passion. If there is no passion, it won't last longer.

Few people cannot afford to choose their profession, but they still have an option to achieve their vision of life through their profession, by using their current profession as a medium.

Few people choose the job/organization where they can align their vision with each other and work together to march forward.

Ultimately, every living being must have a vision to craft themselves to contribute to whatever they do in their life.

Glad that you asked
My vision :
"Create a team, which takes the people to the next level by making a difference in their attitude."

Arunprasath said...

Vision ... Vision ... mmmmm ... I often think about my life goals (Short, mid and long term) that

makes me and others happy... :)... but Did I have a vision?. after reading this blog, I started to

think think and think...

Did my job is only for money?. Did I am doing any thing else extra. its confusing for me.. finally

i came to conclusion... My job is not only giving money but happiness, lot of happiness why?

Mentoring juniors .... wow Thats the wonderful thing to do :)
Sharing my knowledge .... No money expected here
Learn, learn and learn .... Have lot of things to learn and share
Managing Conflicts .... Tackling a situation at the right moment
Teaming with unknown .... Culture change, language change etc

So what is my vision in my proffessional life

"Create an environment to Learn, share and invest my knowledge in aligning with the industry"

Did this looks good, probabily not.... Now comes personal life... What i have to be

I have to be a good husband, son, brother, son in law... friend ... father ... etc and a good citizen for my society. What should be my final goal, Be happy at every instance of life for what ever i am doing.....

Still I could not come to conclusion... I don't care what great leaders talk about their vision...

My overall vision is very simple

"Make earth happy at any point of time, through my action and attitude"

Did I am trying to achieve my vision... yes... Investing every second of mine to make this happen...

I know its hard ...

Thanks Kari :)

Anonymous said...

been without it for around 25 years, do I need one? this post made me think, thanks anyway.

Gannabattula said...

To be precise, the world is running with a vision. Everyone on this earth is moving with vision. The thing is he must know it and must able write it. As defined, vision is something you own/achieved during the course of time. So visioin is not something carved out on a stone and it cannot be changed. As soon as you met your vision, do you say that is end of life. No......right? You define new vision. It is true for person, componies, societies, communities.
Now what matters is what kind of vision you have at this moment. Are you aiming at short term/smaller cause.. long term/bigger cause.. or totally personal? This is what drives you and gets you mobilization..
Gandhi and Martin had a bigger vision for society and it was not personal, so they could mobilize/gather people for good cause.
A person who needs to get a job, what is his vision? At this moment, his vision is to own/achieve a job. Once this is done, he will create new vision.
Infosys CEO had vision to make his company Billion dollar company. He achieved it. So the vision must be redefined/recreated. He cannot say I am fine. I will sit on Billion dollars. He may slips away from there if doesn't get to next vision.
What is needed as support for you to achieve vision(which is variable as time goes by)values on which you always stand and a mission which gives you direction to achieve your vision.
So Vision, goals, objectives are to keep focus you aim. So that you could achive it. These are taken from miliatory or games. If you don't make a goal, you are lost. If don't hit the objective, you are defeated. These are crucials in game or milatory. There are rules,regulations and directions/suggestions in games or war. These are like values and mission.
It is same thing, if can't achieve your vision or goal, you are lost/defeated

Unknown said...

Good blogspot where am glad to share my thoughts...

The way I would like to make my life meaningful is to "Be good and do good"...

"Few people cannot afford to choose their profession, but they still have an option to achieve their vision of life through their profession, by using their current profession as a medium."

Yeah, I had chosen my profession to be a "soft"ware engineer... of course, I love computers and the way to earn more to settle down me and my vision as well.

Yes, it happened to me before 7 years. Got a chance to meet some kids, grand ma's n grand pa's in an orphanage who has been thrown out of their home b'coz of some reasons. I drew a vision on that day to build an orphanage (not as big as uthavum karangal ;-)).

I don't know where am I now towards my vision but still in burns in my heart to make it possible... but the work pressure and the culture (night and weekend works) in my profession makes me to think about quiting the job sometimes....which triggers a question inside me how much its possible to make my vision possible?!

I believe, not all but many of them starts their life with a vision only few of them get succeeded. May be b'coz of not proper decision making at the right time it still remains as a "dream".

Sujai SD said...

I would agree am one of the Dhiran.....

To say what I had in my mind was periodical goals and many dreams without deadlines to achieve...

The question of vision makes me think do I have one?

I want to have a company of my own. Make fair business, make good wealth, give it back to the society(world) which helped to gain the above...

Is this what my vision? No this is something which always runs in my mind but never properly shaped.

Question: What do you want to become in life?
At age 7: IPS (A Cop?)
At age 12: A Soldier
At age 15: Software Engineer
At age 18: Multi-crore Business man

The answers varied time to time....
I understood the happiness in a dream is until we achieve then it changes and moves next...

The truth is our activities in alignment to our vision makes more happiness..... and it never stops.

I often think our educational system is not so good(Needs improvement). Bringing a world class education for free of cost, where people learn good attitude, how to live and finally the industrial education to survive.

To put in a nut shell.
My vision is to serve the society, through proper education(as defied above). Provide opportunities to eliminate poverty and unemployment, bring the society up to the next level.

How am I going to achieve this?
Become a Multi-crore business man to have funds for the vision, While my career brings more people with similar vision to achieve it in later part of my life.